From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Making GLSAs useful for security
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:57:14
1 On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:25:14 +0100
2 Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 2016-12-15 22:43, Yury German wrote:
4 > > It does sound good, but not practical as it will introduce confusion
5 > > for the users especially those that do not constantly maintain their
6 > > system and only update the security patches.
7 >
8 > I am wondering if these people understand that we also have security
9 > bugs without GLSAs:
10 >
11 > - Nowadays fuzz testing becomes more and more popular. But researchers
12 > often only report on their results without further investigations.
13 > Upstream will fix reported problems but often nobody knows if you
14 > could really exploit the findings.
15 >
16 > - We just don't have the man power to write a GLSA for any potential
17 > security problem.
18 >
19 > - Once it was decided to not issue a GLSA I think we never revise
20 > decisions unless someone poke us or we gain information about an
21 > exploit/active attack in the wild.
24 > So maybe we should also consider adding a new option to check for
25 > package updates based on security bugs without GLSA (I guess this
26 > would also need an update on Bugzilla to allows us tracking/exporting
27 > such information).
28
29 Perhaps it's time to realise that security bugs aren't that
30 interesting, and that random data loss bugs and just plain missing
31 features can be far more impactful in practice than some obscure
32 security issue. All treating security bugs specially does is play into
33 the "look at me, I'm important so you should pay me money or I'll put
34 out another press release" drama certain consulting companies have set
35 up. Broken code is broken whether or not the bug has been given a cute
36 name and logo.
39 Ciaran McCreesh