From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:25:32

On 01-08-2011 18:47, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> After the new council was setup, a "introductionary" meeting was held > to get the new council members going a bit. Since this meeting > replaced an ordinary meeting, it is considered a waste of time by > some [1]. > > Roy Bamford suggested to change the scheme to "Two year terms and > elections every year for half the seats." > > This requires an update to GLEP39 [2] on all points that reference > the one year period of the council. It requires addition of the two > overlapping terms, and dealing with the "less than 50% attendance" > point. > > Voting for this point makes little to no sense for as long as the > implications to GLEP39 and possibly other organisational issues > aren't clear. Hence, at this stage, brief discussion by the council > in the next meeting can only make it clear if the current council has > the intention to supports a change like this or not.
As I've expressed already a few times, I strongly disagree with the Council being able to change the rules that govern it. In my view, this topic belongs to a reform of GLEP39. Also, as documented on the last meeting's summary[1], the current council voted on not being able to update GLEP39: Donnie asked for a clarification by the council members on whether they think a global dev vote is required to update GLEP39 or not. The council voted 5 yes and 1 no that the council can't change GLEP39 as it requires a full developer vote. [1] -