From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 01:41:43
1 To make my point more clear:
2 The concept of only voting like an untouchable high council which you
3 need to address very formally doesn't work out (I am exaggerating).
4
5 We need more moderation and preventive mediation. Even ComRel does not
6 get this done yet. They also seem to have a self-concept of staying in
7 the background until stuff explodes or until someone calls very loud for
8 them.
9
10 Maybe I need a reality check, but I don't see that this has worked out well.
11
12 One of the bigger disagreements I see in the past is that the council
13 didn't intervene when we had the multilib war. It was _technically_ all
14 fine what had been done, but it was still a bad situation. But no one
15 addressed the council directly (some people didn't want to go for a
16 formal vote), so not much happened on that level.
17
18 I don't think it's enough to only get involved if someone goes for a
19 formal council agenda item. Maybe that's exactly what the GLEP says, but
20 it's not enough to improve the anarchy here.
21
22 So... I'm glad about any person that tries to improve that part of the
23 council and wants to extend the self-concept of the council, even if
24 it's not within the official scope.