From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Removing http:// mirror URLs where https:// is available
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 17:32:58
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2021, 04:37 Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hey,
4 >
5 > First of all I'm asking because I don't know, but are there any
6 > technical limitations why we should still be showing http:// mirrors
7 > when https:// is available? I've just gone through multiple mirrors
8 > listed in https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/mirrors/ and most of them
9 > even redirect http requests to their https site.
12 So my recollection is that on the install media, openssl has
13 USE=bindist[0] set, which prevents installation of EC TLS support. I
14 expect this to be resolved ..hopefully this year. The impact is that
15 on the installation media, you may not be able to talk to servers that
16 *only* offer EC-based TLS, as the openssl on the installation media
17 does not support EC-based TLS.
18
19 [0] Because patents, which may or may not be expired. See
20 http://bugs.gentoo.org/531540