From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: your achievements
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 22:59:49
1 On Friday, June 21, 2019 6:21:00 AM PDT Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 12:42 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
4 > > keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
5 > > start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
6 > > join a thread.
7 >
8 > I'd like to ask all nominees a very simple open question: what have you
9 > done to improve Gentoo in the last year? Please focus on noticeable
10 > achievements and successes, rather than general things like 'I've copied
11 > few hundred ebuilds to newer versions'.
12 Hi,
13
14 Some notable things I've done last year (and I've been a developer roughly
15 same amount of time)
16 Not sure if those considered achievements, they are for me.
17
18 - Taken over all jvm/jdk/jre maintenance in gentoo over from chewi (with
19 exception to oracle proprietary variants)
20 It involves, for example, building icedtea tarballs for amd64,arm,arm64,ppc64,
21 ppc64le so users can bootstrap their own from-source jvm.
22 And since cross-compiling jvm is not so great idea I have to do it on native
23 machines as qemu does not always work for that.
24 Also continued chewi's work on openjdk, added openjdk8, different JRE and
25 notably openjfx, which was deemed unpackageable.
26
27 I'm not involved in any java library/package maintenance, this area is still
28 in a very bad state unfortunately and the modern java toolset is very portage-
29 unfriendly.
30
31 But at least we still have working icedtea/openjdk for a lot of arches and
32 will soon have full jdk+jfx alternative to oracle-jdk.
35 - taken over zfs maintenance. ebuilds were not in a very good state due to
36 various reasons, now it's much better, updates are in time and bugs are
37 handled.
38 Gentoo always was a first-class distro in ZoL world (thanks to ryao) and it
39 still is.
42 - I've been maintaining a lot of rust related thing lately, not a lot was done
43 in this area but situation is improving and there are plans on adding cross-
44 compilation support to rust and maybe improve situation with crate bundling.
47 - Attended SCALE17x conference, brought some arm devices to attract people to
48 gentoo booth. Next time I'm going to come a bit more prepared as this year our
49 stand was very bare-bones.
52 - I got to mentor someone, we'll increase our headcount soon =)
53
54 Regards, Georgy.