From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-09-13
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 19:05:29
1 On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > the Gentoo Council will meet again on Sunday, September 13 at 19:00 UTC in
5 > #gentoo-council on freenode.
6 >
7 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
8 > or vote on.
9 >
10
11 While I don't know that we'll get to a vote, I think that the whole
12 qt4/5, gtk2/3, etc USE flag matter could really use some
13 standardization.
14
15 My personal sense of the best ideas of the thread would be to have a
16 proposal like this:
17
18 Have a generic GUI USE flag which should be used where appropriate.
19 I'm hesitant to just suggest using X11 for this since Wayland is on
20 its way. Maintainers should use this flag if all they're doing is
21 enabling/disabling any GUI, regardless of how it was implemented.
22 Profiles and users are encouraged to manipulate this flag globally as
23 appropriate. This is considered a completely safe flag that is free
24 from surprises, though obviously disabling it will mean lots of
25 console-only applications. Packages should not IUSE this if they
26 exclusively do or don't support a GUI (ie installing USE=-gui xeyes
27 shouldn't just install a bunch of doc files).
28
29 An unversioned gtk/qt/etc flag may be used if appropriate if users may
30 wish to enable specific GUIs. This should be about picking a specific
31 implementation, and not about turning the GUI itself on or off. In
32 general this should not be put in profiles, but it might be
33 appropriate in a very specific profile such as a gnome or kde profile.
34 Users should use care in setting this globally, but it might be
35 appropriate for enviornments where you want more control over the
36 toolkits that are in use, such as embedded.
37
38 Versioned gtk/qt/etc flags may be used to control specific toolkit
39 versions, when a package supports more than one. The default should
40 be whatever is most appropriate. Users and profiles should almost
41 never be setting these. They shouldn't be used if only one version is
42 supported. If users set these globally they should expect things to
43 break. In fact, I'm not entirely opposed to sticking package names in
44 the flags to make them truly local (like chromium-gtk3 to use an
45 example from another thread), but I think it is still better to just
46 have the name be uniform and expect users to not shoot themselves in
47 the feet (and we can document flag description appropriately).
48
49
50 --
51 Rich