From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] For next council meeting: moving Portage to python3.6+
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:42:27
1 On 04/24/2018 11:56 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > With EAPI 7 approaching in days (and the implementation going to
3 > probably have some inevitable bugs), switching supported Python
4 > implementation (or doing any major refactorings, to say) is a very bad
5 > idea. This is going to once again cause a horrible backwards
6 > compatibility problem loop where people wouldn't be able to use EAPI 7
7 > because they would need to provide means to upgrade Python and its
8 > dependencies first, in order to be able to upgrade Portage.
9
10 I'm perfectly happy keeping the python2.7 support around for a few more
11 years. Some people seem pretty eager to stop supporting it, but I'd love
12 to hear some specific reasons.
13 --
14 Thanks,
15 Zac