From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 22:37:20
1 I'm separating out this email to contain just the responses to various
2 questions and concerns. I'll send another separate thread with the
3 updated text.
4
5 1. External control of Gentoo.
6
7 I don't think there's much stopping us from investigating this as a
8 possible option in the future but I think that this is mostly orthogonal
9 to this proposal. Whatever the new 'board' would do would would just be
10 reduced if we do choose external control.
11
12 SPI has been mentioned a couple of times and if anyone wants to
13 contact them to work something out to propose to the foundation I don't
14 think there's anything stopping you :D
15
16 2. Every developer becoming a member of foundation.
17
18 First, 'developer' in this sense means what used to mean 'staff or
19 developer'.
20
21 Rich0's proposal to make this optional (I'd like to default to
22 enabled) seems like a good solution. We'd still have one voting pool
23 but simply allow people to opt out.
26 3. US Embargo.
27
28 We are already a US organization, that, in my non-lawyer mind, means
29 we already have to deal with this. Just because a developer is a member
30 of the project and not directly under the foundation does not mean the
31 foundation can ignore US embargo policy.
32
33 That said, I don't really think this has been a problem in the past and
34 will likely not be a problem in the future.
35
36 4. Why is the existing model bad? (more info)
37
38 We have two voting pools that can be divergent in their goals. What
39 would happen if the foundation wanted x and the council wanted !x?
40
41 5. We should have a BDFL (more or less)
42
43 I don't agree with this personally and it is not the goal of this
44 proposal to move to that model.
45
46 6. Liability increase by having all devs be members of the Foundation.
47
48 William summed it up pretty well, 'working on the project makes you
49 and the project more liable than being a member'.
50
51 7. Exclusion of the community.
52
53 I don't think this is as much a problem as people think. The
54 definition of 'developer' changed about a year ago to mean what used to
55 be 'staff or developer'. So anyone who is what used to be called staff
56 (which I think people applying to the foundation should probably be
57 considered) would have representation (through their vote).
58
59 8. Merging the voting pools.
60
61 The process for this will be better defined in the next version of the
62 proposal.
63
64 9. Members of the 'board' having conflicts with their job.
65
66 I'm, not sure about this as it's likely case by case. But I
67 personally don't see this causing much more issues than what is already
68 caused by working on an open source project.
71 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)