From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:46:33
1 >>>>> On Sun, 03 Dec 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > Proposal
4 > ========
5
6 > Give the failure of other solutions tried for this, I'd like to
7 > establish the following changes to the mailing lists:
8
9 > 1. Posting to gentoo-dev@ and gentoo-project@ mailing lists will be
10 > initially restricted to active Gentoo developers.
11
12 > 1a. Subscription (reading) and archives will still be open.
13
14 > 1b. Active Gentoo contributors will be able to obtain posting access
15 > upon being vouched for by an active Gentoo developer.
16
17 > 2. A new mailing list 'gentoo-expert' will be formed to provide
18 > a discussion medium for expert Gentoo users and developers.
19
20 > 2a. gentoo-expert will have open posting access like gentoo-dev has
21 > now.
22
23 I don't believe that introducing a category of "expert users", in
24 addition to developers and users, makes much sense. What mark would
25 distinguish the gentoo-expert list from gentoo-dev on the one hand,
26 and gentoo-user on the other hand?
27
28 Generally I think that our mailing lists should be defined by topic
29 and not by target audience.
30
31 So, how about this instead:
32
33 ᚠ᛬ Do the changes proposed in points 1., 1a. and 1b. from above, but
34 only for the gentoo-dev mailing list.
35
36 ᚢ᛬ Revive the gentoo-council mailing list and move all council related
37 business from -project to there. The same rules as for -dev would
38 apply to -council, i.e. 1., 1a. and 1b.
39
40 ᚦ᛬ No changes to the gentoo-project mailing list.
41
42 This would still keep gentoo-dev free of trolls, and at the same time
43 (re-)introduce a clean communication channel for council related
44 postings.
45
46 Ulrich