From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] GLEP proposal: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:51:02
1 On 11/11/2013 08:01 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Foreword:
3 > This a wrap up of my previous email "RFC: Gentoo GPG key policies", from
4 > 2013/02/18, incorporating all of the changes from the thread at the time.
5 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/83996
6 > This thread does contain other implementation suggestions for Repoman, but I
7 > think that is outside the scope of this GLEP.
8
9 That's a pretty good summary, and pretty much what I wanted as guidelines.
10 Thanks for writing it up, let me just nitpick a few minor points ...
11
12 > ================================================
13 > GLEP: xx
14 > Title: Gentoo GPG key policies
15
16 > Specification:
17 > ==============
18 > Bare minimum requirements:
19 > --------------------------
20 > 1. SHA2-series output digest (SHA1 digests internally permitted).
21 > "personal-digest-preferences SHA256"
22 > 2. root key & signing subkey of EITHER:
23 > 2.1. DSA, 2048-bit
24 Equal, or at least?
25
26 > 2.1.1. Exception: if your hardware token only supports 1024-bit, you may use it
27 Is that a relevant corner case? I'd prefer to not have that around.
28
29 > 2.2. RSA, >=2048 bits,
30 > 2.2.1. RSAv4 or later only: v3 and older are FORBIDDEN.
31 > 3. Key expiry: 5 years max.
32 Minimum?
33 I'd suggest 6 months from the point in time of adding it
34
35 > 4.1. Root key: 3 year max, expiry renewed annually.
36 You said 5 years just above
37
38 > 4.2. Gentoo subkey: 1 year max, expiry renewed every 6 months.
39 Move that from recommendation to standard? See above.
40 > 4. If you intend to sign on a very slow alternative-arch, you may find adding a
41 > DSA1024 subkey significantly speeds up the signing.
42 > TODO: should we codify this exception?
43 Is this a real problem? (I already have 30sec+ network lag often enough
44 ... )
48 > 9. You MUST upload your key to the SKS keyserver rotation before usage!
49 > TODO: we had considered running an internal keyserver for developers only,
50 > is this still in demand, or not needing with a good public keyserver and the
51 > gentoo-keys project?
52
53 Make that mandatory then.
54 That might be obsoleted by dolsen's work on key seeds - what's the
55 current status?
58 Thanks for accelerating this discussion,
59
60 Patrick