From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:15:57
1 On 27 August 2013 10:54, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
3 > to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
4 > to discuss or vote on.
5 >
6 > Please respond to this message with agenda items. Do not hesitate to
7 > repeat your agenda item here with a pointer if you previously
8 > suggested one (since the last meeting).
9 >
10 > The agenda for the next meeting will be sent out on Tuesday 2013-09-03.
11 >
12 > Please respond to the gentoo-project list, if possible.
13 >
14 > Ulrich
15
16 Hi,
17
18 I'd like to ask the council to vote on the following topics regarding the
19 'minor arches' based on the feedback I received on the respective
20 thread in the gentoo-dev mailing list
21
22 http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137708312817671&w=1
23
24 Drop the following arches to ~arch
25
26 - s390
27 - sh
28 - ia64
29 - alpha
30 - m68k
31 - sparc
32 -(maybe ppc and ppc64?)
33
34 The feedback on the original question was mostly positive.
35 Most people agree that the long stabilization queues for these
36 architectures create problems
37 for maintainers wishing to drop old versions.
38 The council should also take into consideration that the stabilization process
39 for these arches is mostly a one-man job (Agostino).
40
41 However, some people raised the point that we should provide stable stages
42 for these architectures and drop everything else to ~arch.
43
44 So if the Council votes 'NO' to the original question, vote on whether
45 only @system should
46 be stable for these architectures.
47
48 The Council should also provide a list of the arches that wishes to
49 "mark" as ~arch (even if they only do stable @system)
50 so maintainers are aware of the situation.
53 Regards,
54 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
55 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang