From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:23:49
1 On 04-12-2011 15:17:28 +0100, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > 1. Should the change of quiet build default in recent portage versions
3 > be reverted?
4 >
5 > The timeframe between suggestion and implementation was less than 14
6 > hours, so way too less time for a real discussion. Additionally, the
7 > discussion following the change has shown, that there is no consensus
8 > about this change neither for developers nor for users. So i would like
9 > to see this reverted, at least until we get to a consensus at this topic
10 > in which case the consensus result should be implemented.
11
12 Ok, you mean the --quiet-build=y default that most recent Portage uses,
13 right? Also known to some as the parallel build output.
14
15 > 2. Should the default output of portage be changed to quiet?
16 >
17 > If yes, is a simple portage message for 2.1.* users enough to inform
18 > users about this highly visible change? Especially in the context in
19 > mind, that a good amount of packages have elog messages, so it is pretty
20 > easy to miss this hint for a change in portage behaviour.
21
22 You suggest a news item here? Or do you want Portage in quiet mode to
23 print elog messages? (If I'm not mistaken, it already does.)
27 Fabian Groffen
28 Gentoo on a different level