From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2021-04-11
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 17:22:36
1 On 4/8/21 7:37 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > It's admittedly a grey area here. We use CDNs for various web
4 > components (packages.gentoo.org for example) and we use a CDN for
5 > distfiles.gentoo.org. Is Github simply a CDN for gentoo.git? Its an
6 > open question we have discussed on the gentoo-nfp list.
7 >
8 > In general I'm not really sold on the benefits of git as a replication
9 > protocol; while I dislike running a global rsync network the
10 > maintenance of the network is basically nil from infra's end and so I
11 > don't feel significant pressure to move to git. Could you perhaps
12 > articulate why you think it's important for clients to move to git?
13 >
14 > -A
17 It provides much better user experience with continuously faster
18 sync-times. Also there's error posts frequently in the forums when using
19 rsync, even recently.
20
21 The way I see it, utilizing Github, it can already be implemented
22 world-wide (wrt rsync mirrors). And those disliking Github can still
23 keep using rsync, or pick the Gentoo-infra hosted sync-repo (until it
24 breaks). And regarding that, didn't you say you have a lot of money
25 needing to be used? ;)
26
27 Now I don't know if it's actually *doable* already, or if this is one of
28 those things nobody brought up yet. That's why I made the post. (infra,
29 releng, handbook). If it *is* doable, I don't see why the defaults can't
30 be updated to use git. At some point at least, once we figure out the
31 global requirements.
32
33 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature