From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New Developer: Andrew Savchenko (bircoph)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 03:51:50
1 "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Hello everyone,
4 >
5 > it's a pleasure for me to introduce to you Andrew Savchenko aka. bircoph as the
6 > latest addition to our team.
7 >
8 > He has been a long time out-of-tree contributor to various packages including
9 > sci-physics/root, linphone, mediastreamer or openl2tp. Now it is time for him to
10 > work directly on the tree.
11
12 Welcome bircoph! Pleasure to finally have you on board.
13
14 > Here some lines from himself:
15 >
16 > """
17 > I'm an IT engineer in the Unix technologies department of our
18 > university working mostly on HPC solutions, though I'm also
19 > involved in VoIP and infrastructure security issues. We're using
20 > Gentoo in production widely ;)
21 >
22 > Also I'm a researcher at the same university working in High Energy
23 > Physics field and I'm working on my PhD in HEP now.
24
25 That will make you a heavy sci-physics/root user, I suppose;)
26
27 > In Gentoo I'd like to participate in science, voip, cluster teams
28 > and maintain some random packages of interest.
29 >
30 > Other than technical stuff my interests encompass classical music
31 > (both Western and Eastern), literature (sci-fi, historical novels
32 > and epic fantasy), anime and cycling.
33 >
34 > I have contributed to quite a lot of free software projects, though
35 > most contributions are in form of patches, high quality bug
36 > reports, translations and small improvements here and there.
37 >
38 > Notable project I contributed to:
39 > MPlayer, Midnight Commander (was a developer for these two), Linux
40 > kernel, OrangeFS, Wesnoth, sdcv, openl2tp and of course Gentoo (a
41 > lot of patches in bugzilla, proxy-maintainer for various packages).
42 >
43 > ATM I'm one of clsync developers (it's an lsyncd replacement written
44 > in pure C with enhanced functionality and extensibility; probably
45 > should add this project to the tree) and symlookup dev (its a tool
46 > for undefined symbols handling, though intersect with scanelf for
47 > some tasks).
48 >
49 > Also I maintain an official Russian Debian mirror located at our
50 > university. (We have Gentoo mirror too (that's why this host was
51 > set up in the first place), but additional mirrors aren't accepted
52 > now.)
53 > """
54
55 Very admirable experience. I am looking forward to cooperating with you
56 more in the science herd.
57
58 Cheers,
59 Benda