From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:11:29
1 On 14/11/18 20:02, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 >
3 > It would also discourage developers under deadlines from contributing
4 > upstream rather than just adding to a local private repository. There
5 > are some companies that strongly encourage their employees to upstream
6 > any work done on an open source project, if any signifigant contribution
7 > turns in to a git hsitory deep-dive, then they may opt to not
8 > contribute at all, especially if they are under a deadline.
9 >
10 > This discussion keeps me wondering whether Gentoo wants to make it easy
11 > and painless to accept outside contribution (or coprorate
12 > contribution), or if they want to make it so painful for corporations
13 > to contribute that most opt not to do it at all. I personally think
14 > that the more developer time that can spent on improving Gentoo, the
15 > better. If increasing the developers fixing bugs and adding features
16 > requires accepting some extra lines (or one _very_ long line at the
17 > start of a file) at the top of some small percentage of ebuilds in the
18 > tree, then it is worth it.
19 >
20 > rich0 mentioned earlier in this thread that developer eyeballs is far
21 > more valuable than CPU time, isn't having paid developers working on
22 > fixing and improving Gentoo valuable? That can add up to quite a large
23 > amount of developer time that would not otherwise be spent. We have
24 > lost many developers who had life changes that reduced their free time
25 > to work on Gentoo, in the case where a developer can work on Gentoo in
26 > their day job, then that can help avoid losing valuable contributions.
27 >
28 I wouldn't be sure the proponents of these proposals have the 'big picture'
29 in mind .. or they wouldn't even have found discussion or questioning here.
30
31 There seems to be a remarkable amount of 'busy-work' being done in the
32 echelons of Gentoo, and not a lot of work on fixing bugs, updating packages
33 and developing new features ...
34
35 That said, I credit those developers who are tirelessly and thanklessly
36 grinding away. You know who you are, and I take my hat off to you, and
37 thank you for your hard work.