From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Should the new text be a GLEP, or something else? How do we update it in the future?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:03:05

On 21-04-2010 15:44, Richard Freeman wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 01:50 PM, Roy Bamford wrote: >> The revised GLEP39 should explicitly state that it can be amended by >> some vote or another of the council ... probably unamimous. After all, >> we can vote them out in 11 months time or less. > > Only if they don't vote to extend their terms. :)
I'll be expressing my view fully on another post to this thread, but basically I don't think the document that dictates Gentoo's meta-structure should be amendable by the overruling body. Furthermore, due to past history and in good judgment, our governance policy should require a global vote of the developer community.
> Also - I think that the GLEP should really define the role and authority > of the council, and their terms/etc. I don't think the GLEP should > dictate how they operate. If we didn't micromanage the council in the > GLEP, maybe there wouldn't be so much need to change it from time to time. > > If we want to have written policies about how the council operates > (slacker marks, vote-by-email, etc) then we should put that in a > separate GLEP, which the council can modify like any other.
I agree with the idea of separating the goal and general rules of the functioning of the council and their influence in the global governance from the daily details of how they operate. The latter should be set freely by a council at any time with a majority vote. However, slacker marks aren't a detail on the council operation but a "safety net" measure that should be part of the meta-structure policy document.