From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Another 2 bite the dust
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:14:57
1 On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 21:01 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
3 >
4 > > There are few brutal developers here that make Gentoo a terrible place
5 > > to be.
6
7 IMHO the world is what you make it. While I am not saying we don't have
8 devs that make life harder for others. Which I myself at times might
9 fall into that category. At the end of the day, we only have control and
10 influence over ourselves. Of any conflict I have with anyone, I always
11 put at least 50% or more of the blame on me. Putting it solely on them
12 makes me powerless to correct things.
13
14 In this situation, I am not saying it's all others, or all Alon, but
15 more 50/50. From the other side, I personally and some others on the
16 Java team. Had some harsh interactions with Alon when he was a user.
17 Because of such I wasn't to happy about him becoming a dev.
18
19 Much less when as a user of seahorse, changes to the gnupg package
20 caused massive headaches for me. Which most any interaction with Alon
21 wasn't to friendly. Granted there was some past animosity there from
22 past interactions.
23
24 In the end allot of the gnupg "harshness" I am just as much to blame for
25 as Alon. But I can't say that Alon was the nicest person I met, and
26 agree 100% or at all with his comments. It very well others could have
27 been reacting in kind.
28
29 This also could have allot to do with cultural differences. Which even
30 though we all communicate in English. Most of us don't live in areas
31 where that's the native language ( obviously not speaking of myself ).
32 So at times, tension can surely be a result of translations. Words being
33 used, maybe not the best ones, or accurately expressing ones feelings.
34 Or politely even.
35
36 Anyway, I respect Alon's view and reasons for leaving Gentoo. I just
37 would hope there would have been a bit more self reflection. Which is
38 something I try to do allot. There have been several times I have been a
39 jerk, and lacked tact in my actions, comments, etc. But I do try to at
40 least acknowledge that, apologize, and if possible make up for any of my
41 actions.
42
43 I am not trying to dump all the blame on Alon, but since his email
44 seemed to exclude him from any. Plus others comments, which I was trying
45 to hold back myself. I felt I need to put out some additional info.
46
47 Always two sides to any story, and at times, more than that :)
48
49 It sad to see any developer go, even if it's one I haven't always had a
50 great working relationship with. Alon did contribute to Gentoo, and will
51 always be appreciated for that. Just would hope he or others, including
52 myself if/when the time comes, could have made a bit better exit from
53 grace :)
54
55 Off to write my multi-volume novel ;) j/k
58 William L. Thomson Jr.
59 amd64/Java/Trustees
60 Gentoo Foundation