From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 11:46:46
1 On 2020.12.05 10:36, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 >
5 > I had really hoped that the moderators team would acknowledge that the
6 > current state of affairs with OTW is unacceptable, and come up with
7 > some
8 > plan of their own how to improve things.
11 > Ulrich
14 I suspect that has not happened because of the way that this has been
15 mismanaged by council members from the outset, which has demotivated
16 many of the forum mods team.
17
18 There is a well used reporting and escalation and appeal process in place.
19 It was not used.
20 Every post contains a 'Report' button. There were no reports.
21 The forum mods have an email alias that could have been used to report
22 posts and wider issues. That didn't happen either.
23
24 Instead the initial report was an email to council on a closed list, with a
25 CC: to the the forums team. When I learned email etiquette, in the late
26 60's CC: meant for information only, no action required.
27 Clearly, the poster did not want the forums mods team to do anything.
28
29 The council is supposed to be the final appeals body, not the first
30 port of of call for anyone upset by something.
31
32 If the council want to be seen to following the process that they were
33 elected to enforce, the only course of action is to refer the matter to the
34 forum mods team.
35
36 Any vote that short circuits the process council is supposed to enforce
37 only brings council further into disrepute.
38
39 Its not too late for the council to recognise the damage they have done
40 to themselves in the eyes of the wider community and stop the
41 mismanagement in its tracks by enforcing process.
44 Regards,
45
46 Roy Bamford
47 (Neddyseagoon) a member of