From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:06:57
1 On 08/05/2016 12:22 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 06/08/16 02:11, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >> I would like to add an exception for metadata changes, too, but honestly
4 >> I don't trust people to use it wisely. I shouldn't have to bug the arch
5 >> teams if I add a second LICENSE and revbump... maybe if this exception
6 >> is worded strongly-enough it could do more good than harm.
7 >
8 > Why would one revbump for a change to LICENSE?
11 Along with ACCEPT_LICENSE, the LICENSE variable affects which packages
12 can and cannot be installed. You need a new revision so that users who
13 already have the package installed will pick up the change. If the
14 change makes a package violate a user's ACCEPT_LICENSE, they need to know.
15
16 If you installed something whose EULA says it can hijack your webcam and
17 post naked pictures of you to slashdot, but it incorrectly had
18 LICENSE="GPL-2", wouldn't you want to find out that I corrected it?