From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - council meeting 2020-03-08
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2020 12:46:50
1 On Mon, 2020-03-02 at 13:38 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 02 Mar 2020, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Following the discussion within the QA team, I'd like to ask the Council
4 > > to clarify whether EAPI 4 ban applies to revision bumps as a result of
5 > > dependency changes?
6 > > I think the key point in banning EAPIs is that the maintainer (or
7 > > generally, someone caring about the package in question) should be
8 > > responsible for the EAPI bump. I don't think anybody should be forced
9 > > to do that when in middle of large batch of changes (read: when I only
10 > > touch the package because it's blocking me).
11 > > In this particular case, I'm thinking of revbumps due to dependency
12 > > changes. Say, if I do a change in a dependency *I* maintain, and have
13 > > to fix a large number of revdeps, I don't think it's fair to expect me
14 > > to EAPI-bump some packages I don't maintain. The main difference is
15 > > that we're talking of dep change + revbump that can be linted via
16 > > pkgcheck/repoman vs. EAPI bump that needs full scale testing.
17 >
18 > EAPIs are being banned after a deprecation period, which typically is
19 > two years. So I guess one can expect packages that run into the ban not
20 > to be very actively maintained.
21 >
22 > Looking at the plots [1] (especially the third plot from the top),
23 > I don't see any change in slope for EAPI 0 in 2016-01 or for EAPI 4
24 > in 2018-04. So arguably, the "banned" state doesn't give any additional
25 > incentive to update an ebuild, as compared to the "deprecated" state.
26 > After your proposed change, the difference between the two states would
27 > be even more blurred.
28 >
29 > Maybe we should revisit the concept, and ban EAPIs only when their last
30 > ebuild has left the tree, i.e., when the EAPI is added to eapis-banned
31 > in layout.conf?
32 >
33
34 Not sure if this is practically able but technically I see an advantage
35 from having three distinct states:
36
37 1. Deprecation -- tooling warns about them but there are no consequences
38 for adding new ebuilds.
39
40 2. Ban I -- tooling errors out, if developers add new ebuilds
41 (as in real new ebuilds), we pursue it.
42
43 3. Ban II -- no ebuilds left, CI fatal, immediate revert.
44
45 --
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny