From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 19:57:13
1 On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > by putting their stuff on /usr/... so that root now has
4 > to be merged with /usr,
5
6 Actually, the argument for merging root with /usr was more because it
7 would make it possible to mount it read-only and ensure its integrity.
8
9 As I understand it the historical reasons for separating them was a
10 lack of disk space on one of the early development systems. That did
11 of course evolve into the boot-essential stuff on /.
12
13 A lot of the reason that this broke was because as systems became more
14 complex it became harder to identify everything needed during early
15 boot. The example everybody drags out is bluetooth keyboards.
16
17 And with initramfs there really isn't much of a need to keep things
18 separate. While it is nice that you can boot without an initramfs, it
19 doesn't really provide any benefit to do so.
20
21 > Yes, I *could* write it myself if I had
22 > the ability to devote my full time to producing a competing system.
23
24 You don't need to do this at all. Just download a linux iso from Y2K
25 or so and it will probably behave exactly as you want it to. :)
26
27 > The old UNIX philosophy of a
28 > 'program should do one thing - and do it well' with the ability to
29 > "pipe" the output of one program to another and another... has gone
30 > right out of the window.
31
32 I guess it isn't a good time to point out this article:
33 http://www.codersnotes.com/notes/something-rotten-in-the-core/
34
35 While I love pipes and awd and sed and all that, there are a lot of
36 problems that they don't solve.
37
38 Plan 9 tried to abstract things like network connections and X11
39 windows into the filesystem. That was a great concept, but when you
40 look at a modern window manager it seems like a losing battle to try
41 to either turn everything programs do into pipes, or limit what
42 programs "ought to do" to what can be done with pipes.
43
44 > I will admit to having a bias much in favor of the OpenRC methods.
45
46 I'm not really sure what OpenRC vs systemd and all that has to do with
47 this discussion. Gentoo essentially supports both at this point, and
48 doesn't require any individual developer/contributor to support
49 either.
50
51 > I apologize for calling the Council inbred. But it would be a sign of
52 > respect and/or honor to be able to be called something like an
53 > associate developer with a voting privilege (maybe) and thus be able
54 > to join teams to contribute more actively. I probably would not
55 > require anything more than a relay @gentoo.org address, no blogs, no
56 > personal directory trees or webpages, maybe a directory space for
57 > uploading large bits of code when needed. Is it worth considering?
58
59 IMO the Council exists to help developers to create stuff and deal
60 with the resulting conflicts. Having the developers who are actually
61 doing this work vote for the Council helps ensure that the Council is
62 aligned to this mission. For the most part the Council tends to deal
63 with issues by trying to let everybody go forward with the projects
64 they are interested in and it tries to avoid picking winners.
65
66 It seems like having others voting for the Council would serve more to
67 use the Council as a tool to push developers to conform to some kind
68 of externally-imposed ideological purity.
69
70 If others don't disagree with what the developers are already voting
71 for, then there is no real value to having them also vote. If they do
72 disagree, then do we really want a situation where the people who
73 contribute are being frustrated by a governance structure that isn't
74 responsive to their wishes, because it is in part elected by
75 non-developers who have different priorities?
76
77 As far as joining teams/etc go - you're generally welcome to do this
78 as a non-dev already. Just contact the team lead and tell them how
79 you want to contribute.
82 Rich