From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:42:41
1 On 1/29/19 7:27 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Not depending on non-free software sounds nice in principle until you
3 > start talking about all those little things that make physical
4 > hardware actually work. If it were a practical option I'd be all for
5 > it. Otherwise this is a choice that really only exists on paper.
6
7 This is a matter of documentation in the handbook, though.
8
9 e.g on my laptop (all of my systems have similar setups already) which
10 has ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE -AGPL-3 -AGPL-3+ freedist ", the exception
11 list still only are has
12 # cat /etc/portage/package.license/*|wc -l
13 21
14 ... of which 4 entries are related to AGPL and as such wouldn't really
15 be relevant for the proposed change. and that is a full desktop (laptop)
16 system, most systems have far less. In terms of linux-firmware, it
17 requires a simple two entries
18 sys-kernel/linux-firmware linux-firmware no-source-code
19 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources linux-firmware
22 .. but at least that gives specific knowledge of the non-free installs.
25 Kristian Fiskerstrand
26 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
27 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3