From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2022-23: Questions for Candidates: how to increase contributions
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 23:50:55
1 On Thu, 2022-06-16 at 18:06 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > A question I'd like the candidates to answer.
3 >
4 > What do you feel that Council can do to increase the contributions to
5 > Gentoo?
6 >
7 > - how do you feel development velocity of Gentoo should be measured?
8
9 I'll measure the following:
10 - commit amount and frequency, if a person contributes already.
11 - responsiveness on bugs.gentoo.org
12 - community interaction: irc, bugtracker, ml, github, media (forums,
13 reddit, etc)
14
15 TLDR: if a person ignores bug-reports, bump-requests and general
16 feedback, I would not consider those as a valuable contributor.
17 Either retire, set devaway, or do the work.
18
19 > - how do you feel technical debt of Gentoo should be measured?
20 Not sure if it's possible to measure at this point.
21 One has to be a pretty active member of developer community to actually
22 see important things happening here and there. Maybe if we could
23 introducde a special bug tag/category it'd have more visibility.
24
25 > - how do we make it easier to get orders of magnitude more
26 > contributors?
27
28 We can increase number of contributions by paying more attention to
29 github PRs, active GURU members and bugs with PATCHes.
30 Not something council can directly influence, but it's something
31 council can encourage.
32
33 > - how do we make it easier to do QA on significantly more
34 > contributions?
35
36 I don't want to associate this particular member of developer community
37 with the QA team, but some QA-related bug reports could use fine-tuning
38 in a way those are reported.
39 Internal politics is invisible to external contributors, but pretty
40 much anyone can get this kind of QA report, even GURU contributors, and
41 random publically accessible repos/overlays.
42
43 For example, filing a bug as gentoo-ci would reduce perceived pressure
44 and encourage more bug handling.
45 I've reported this couple of years ago (see what I did here?) with no
46 reaction:
47 https://github.com/asarubbo/ci/issues/1
48
49 Releasing source code could also encourage more contributions and
50 improvement of the ego-CI.
51 I'd certainly would like to fine-tune some reports and maybe even
52 disable some.
53 https://github.com/asarubbo/ci/issues/2
54
55 > - what blockers do you perceive in the contribution processes, and
56 > how
57 > do you think they should be tackled?
58
59 Inability of some members of dealing with github(tm) PRs is a major
60 factor, unfortunately.
61
62 Genrally council could encourage review of external contributions,
63 maybe even organise a PR-bugday, dedicated to reviewing and merging
64 github PRs.
67 > Many of the developers I nominated in my previous email to the
68 > -project
69 > list were because are the very prolific contributors or have
70 > significant
71 > impact in their contributors: how can we increase not just the
72 > prolific
73 > contributors, but get many more contributors everywhere?
74
75 Council nominations, while is certainly is a popularity contest, also
76 reflects community preception of candidate's abiility to voice and
77 defend opinions.
78 Finding leadership is always hard, but if we could encourage developers
79 to share their opinions with community and not be afraid of judgement -
80 we'd get more contributions and probably more council candidates.