From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 20:16:21
1 On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 19:47 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > >
5 > > 3) would be good to detect on the less-active devs, and gives good
6 > > life-signs to undertakers.
7 >
8 > Maybe. However, we're practically talking about one-time check here.
9 > Once the key is initially signed (and if the developer ignores GLEP 63
10 > expiration suggestions), there will be no reason to mail him again.
11
12 Until now this has seemed like something that didn't require any
13 manual developer participation.
14
15 Now it is sounding like a proposal that both requires manual
16 participation, and may also require manual updating, to avoid
17 undertaking.
18
19 It seems like it would make far more sense to look at other direct
20 measures of activity than how up-to-date their gpg key is in the
21 keyservers.
22
23 Also, as far as I'm aware GLEP 63 does not require an encryption key
24 at all, just a signing key. I'm not sure if such signing-keys will be
25 signed by Gentoo under this proposal. If not then there is nothing to
26 upload to the keyserver, and in any case it seems like the main use
27 case of this (sending encrypted email) would not apply. Of course it
28 could still be used for verifying email signatures if we sign
29 signing-only keys.
32 Rich