From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] GPG Keyring distribution & packages
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 19:38:04
1 On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 01:51:32PM -0500, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > On 11/15/2013 01:23 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > You crossed sections, but let's collapse both to:
4 > >
5 > > Bare minimum requirements:
6 > > 3. Key expiry: 6 months min, 3 years max.
7 > > Recommendations:
8 > > 4.1. Root key: 6 months min, 3 year max;
9 > > 4.2. Signing subkey: 3 months min, 1 year max;
10 > > 4.3. For both keys, expiry date should always be update at least 1 month before expiry.
11 > How are we planning on updating keys on user's systems to verify things?
12 > I only ask because 3 months on the signing key means whatever we do
13 > needs to happen *securely* every 3 months at most. So like, if we are
14 > pushing an ebuild with a keyring then we have to update it every 2
15 > months so keys don't expire and then that would break if the user
16 > doesn't update every 3 months... Might be an issue as we try as a whole
17 > to keep systems updatable for 1 year.
18 So some more details regarding how we plan to deploy keys is probably
19 needed here. It was out of scope for the discussion about what keys
20 should look like.
21
22 There are a few parts to it:
23 - gentoo-keys (lead by dolsen)
24 This is a mostly infra-level tool that takes the data in LDAP, does
25 validation, mixes in the keys from keyserver/homedir, and generates
26 keyrings.
27 - keyring packages:
28 Thus far, based on the Debian keyring model, where keyrings of trusted
29 keys are installed locally in /usr/share/keyrings/, and the package
30 manager (or other tools) looks there for validation. I've got a few
31 planned so far:
32 $CAT/gentoo-dev-keyring
33 $CAT/gentoo-releng-keyring
34 $CAT/gentoo-master-keyring
35 To ease the 1-year-updatability requirement, these three packages
36 should explicitly be signed by the master key (and not a dev key),
37 which has a much longer validity. This would always enable you to
38 rsync, install the latest gentoo-dev-keyring, and then install other
39 packages thereafter.
40 - layman keyrings:
41 dolsen is also working on allowing overlays to specify keyrings in the
42 repositories.xml; there's a few unanswered questions about how to
43 ensure nobody does MITM attacks on those keyrings (either convince the
44 overlays admins to change the URL to the keyring, or simply intercept
45 requests for the keyring itself). This maps to how Ubuntu's Launchpad
46 handles keys for PPAs.
47
48 TODO:
49 We need a way for a given repo, once installed, to specify what keyrings
50 to use for validation. I'm thinking of adding it to
51 metadata/layout.conf.
52 The main gentoo-x86 repo would have for example:
53 keyrings = gentoo-master gentoo-releng gentoo-dev
54
55 Overlays might have:
56 keyrings = gentoo-overlay-mysql
59 Robin Hugh Johnson
60 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
61 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
62 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85