From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, licenses@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Modified GLEP 2
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 14:40:05
1 >>>>> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
2
3 >> While I agree with you about both reasons, I disagree about what we
4 >> should do about it. IMHO, changing the license of the existing
5 >> GLEPs that are marked public domain is not worth the effort.
6 > There must be some sort of effort that I do not understand. It seems
7 > quite simple to me. Could you elaborate?
8
9 Well, if it's simple, then we have no reason to change it, in the
10 first place. ;-)
11
12 However, in your previous posting you made the point that public
13 domain isn't so simple, and indeed in some legislations (e.g.
14 "Urheberrecht" in Germany) it is not possible to give up author's
15 rights. In this case the authors would retain at least some of their
16 rights (depending on their country), and we would have to ask them
17 about licensing the GLEP under CC-BY-SA.
18
19 While the current situation with GLEPs labelled as PD may not be 100%
20 clean, simply relabelling them as CC-BY-SA (without asking authors)
21 won't help rectifying it, and asking them would obviously require some
22 effort. So I'd just leave things as they are.
23
24 Ulrich