From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Clarify language of GLEP 39
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 13:18:55
1 On Sunday, January 15, 2017 10:15:32 PM JST, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It seems the developer community at large may need to revisit and vote on
5 >> such a change for GLEP39. Assuming it is deemed important
6 >> enough to pursue.
9 > Nobody is going to organize such an action over a matter this trivial.
10 > I'm not saying they can't, just that I'd be shocked if it happened.
11 >
12 > And hence my point that deciding not to take any action is effectively
13 > a decision that leads are not necessary, since nobody is empowered to
14 > actually do anything over the lack of a lead. And that suits me fine
15 > anyway.
16 >
17 > I did clearly state that I didn't think the Council should change the
18 > wording of GLEP39. It would merely clarify what it means. And
19 > obviously it would take into account any opinions expressed by the
20 > developer community at large.
23 I am not really sure what all the fluff is about, but I simply asked a yes
24 or no question. More plainly, do you really think the council has
25 jurisdiction over GLEP39?
26
27 > On a side note, I think there is far too much tendency in these
28 > debates to hold ourselves to decisions made a long time ago by
29 > entirely different people. When big issues come up people ask
30 > questions like "what did those people who only a few of us even have
31 > ever talked to mean when they wrote xyz" or "what would Daniel do" and
32 > so on. While sometimes understanding historical perspective can be
33 > useful I don't consider ourselves bound by it. Ultimately how we
34 > govern ourselves today is up to the developers of today.