From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Ebuild quizzes for existing developers
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 14:08:45
1 On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'd like to discuss a proposal aiming to improve the general quality of
4 > ebuilds in the Gentoo repository.
7 Is something actually broken?
8
9 IMO discretion and ability to comply with policies/etc are probably
10 far more important than rattling off EAPI/eclass/GLEP trivia. They're
11 just hard to measure for new recruits so we use the quizzes as a proxy
12 for estimating whether somebody will be able to fit in. If somebody
13 could pass the quizzes in the past, and have a fairly clean record
14 inside Gentoo, then I don't really see the point in having them
15 continue to jump through hoops.
16
17 If they're making mistakes in their commits then just focus on the
18 mistakes they're making and boot devs who don't raise their general
19 level of quality. You don't need to guess whether an existing dev
20 will mess up the repo - they already have commit access. If they
21 haven't been breaking things left and right so far, it is unlikely
22 that they will start to do so in the future.
23
24 Now, docs for developers about EAPI changes have been written in the
25 past and are undoubtedly useful. I just don't see the need to give
26 them a certification quiz of some sort.
29 Rich