From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 15:21:09
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 5:23 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:51 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > In some fields (law, or finance for example) there are rules against
6 > having
7 > > even potential conflicts. Should Gentoo emulate those rules and produce
8 > an
9 > > organization that avoids even the appearance of conflict?
10 >
11 > Absolutely!
14 > > A council member is on a team (not even necessarily QA / Comrel). That
15 > > team's lead makes a decision. The council member doesn't agree with the
16 > > decision and appeals to council.
17 > > I would argue the member raising the issue has a conflict and they should
18 > > not vote (recuse / abstain).
19 >
20 > Merely disagreeing with a decision is not a conflict of interest on its
21 > own.
24 > A conflict exists when somebody stands to personally benefit from a
25 > decision. What personal benefit does a member of a team get from
26 > appealing a disagreement?
31 > Now, if the decision concerned them personally in some way I could see
32 > a conflict, such as if it were about a reimbursement of an expense
33 > they incurred, or if it were about sponsoring them to go on a trip.
34 >
35 I wouldn't even consider it a conflict of interest if it were a QA
36 > decision on a commit they made, unless this commit furthered some kind
37 > of work they were doing outside of Gentoo (the commit benefited their
38 > employer or their consulting business).
39 >
40 > Conflict of interest isn't the same as disagreement. It is completely
41 > normal and healthy for people to disagree with things. This does not
42 > in any way make them prejudiced or likely to make a decision that is
43 > bad for the distro.
46 > Again, I'm completely in favor of avoiding conflicts of interest. It
47 > just seems that there is a popular notion around here of what a
48 > conflict of interest is which certainly wouldn't stand up in a court
49 > of law, or really in any organization. Perhaps this is why so many
50 > seem to be paranoid that there is some kind of cabal running the show.
51 > (One which is elected, so presumably this cabal is upwards of 30+
52 > people.)
55 Ok I don't want to have a discussion about what is a conflict or not;
56 because I don't think the conversation solves the problems (which are
57 ill-specified, hoping William will use more words.) The original post
58 discussed appeals to the council. My understanding is that there is a
59 potential trust issue and William thinks removing 'conflicts' (and I use
60 the loosest definition of conflict here) will help improve trust. Assuming
61 developers have concerns about 'conflicts', having a conversation where you
62 say their concerns are invalid based on 'an interpretation of the phrase
63 conflict of interest' doesn't really address these developer concerns (and
64 in fact does the opposite.)
65
66 So I'd like to see the developer concerns expressed in a clearer way so we
67 can have a frank discussion. If there are no explicit concerns and we are
68 just discussing potential problems; then I'm less likely to advocate for
69 policy changes based on things that have not happened yet.
70
71 -A
75 > --
76 > Rich