From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Bad license and attribution by ChromiumOS and CoreOS
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:22:16
1 >>>>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >> It is even doubtful if any third-party ebuilds added to such a tree
4 >> could be under a different license. If such ebuilds inherit from
5 >> a GPL licensed eclass or depend on (or are depended on by) other
6 >> ebuilds, they cannot "be reasonably considered independent and
7 >> separate works in themselves".
8
9 > That has been a longstanding argument with the GPL (you can link
10 > with the LGPL under a non-free license, but not with the GPL).
11 > However, it has never actually been tested in court and I'm not
12 > convinced that it will actually stand up.
13
14 That's why I wrote "doubtful". To be on the safe side, one should go
15 with the FSF's interpretation of the matter.
16
17 Ulrich