From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:13:36
1 On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 11:48:06 -0400 Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 06:28:15PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:11:50 +0200 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > > > >
5 > > > > I support the idea of Gentoo being more inclusive.
6 > > >
7 > > > Can we please keep irrelevant buzzwords out?
8 > >
9 > > There is nothing irrelevant here. Gentoo is kicking people who
10 > > want to contribute because doesn't want to respect their privacy
11 > > because of some imaginary problems which were never appeared or
12 > > tested in real life. This makes Gentoo exclusive to those who want
13 > > their authorship to be public.
14 > >
15 > > Best regards,
16 > > Andrew Savchenko
17 >
18 > Andrew, it is not imaginary. Playing the emotional game doesn't help
19 > either. I am fairly certain all of those who had to make this decision
20 > have expressed their willingness to change it should it be supported
21 > legally. It simply is not.
22
23 If it is not imaginary please provide a court case against Gentoo
24 or other free software distribution on this matter and some
25 evidence that proposed signed-off real name attribution played a
26 measurable effect.
27
28 As far as I can see this whole story is pure speculation of:
29 1) what may happen
30 2) what will help if 1) is to happen.
31
32 So far I saw zero practical evidence on both points.
33
34 > If you believe it is supported legally then please provide such
35 > evidence. This decision was not arrived at lightly and I am confident
36 > enough to state that on behalf of both bodies involved.
37
38 I see no evidence that we have a mandatory legal requirement to put
39 real names under commit attributions in the first place.
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew Savchenko