From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 06:19:39
1 On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 5:42 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > The council can't make this change since it is a glep 39 change, so I am
5 > bringing it to the community for discussion -- I assume there would need
6 > to be a full dev vote to make it happen.
7 >
8 > I feel that council members should not be members of projects whose
9 > actions can be appealed to the council like qa or comrel. I have felt
10 > this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the full
11 > council's ability to vote fairly on appeals.
12 >
13 > As a member of the council who would be affected by this, if it passes
14 > and I run and am elected to council again, I would have no problem with
15 > stepping down from QA.
16 >
17 > Attached is a patch for glep 39 which will make this change.
18 >
19 > Thoughts?
20
21 I am opposed to this change.
22
23 I vote for members of the council, and they should have the ultimate
24 say in making decisions. Preventing council members from participating
25 in QA or comrel does not seem beneficial to me.
26
27 If things go poorly, my escalation path is still to an elected
28 representative. If those same representatives happen to also have a
29 say in the initial decision (before appeal), that's fine by me; they
30 were elected just the same.