From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:18:45
1 On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 12:06:50 +0100 Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
2 > Why do we need GitHub/Bitbucket/Gogs/GitLab/whatever at all? Could
3 > someone justify it?
4 >
5 > User forks Gentoo repository in whatever service he/she wants, prepares
6 > some patches and eventually sends e-mail to gentoo-dev mailing list or
7 > makes a report at Bugzilla describing changes and including URI to
8 > his/her work. It is so simple.
9
10 It is simple when there is a small patch set. I remember times when
11 I uploaded to bugzilla about dozen of patches for review with
12 several iterations. This is really frustrating and time consuming.
13 So git pull requests have their own benefits in simplification of
14 development process.
15
16 However, there is no need to use github in order to use pull
17 requests. Gogs or gitlab may be setup in order to fulfil this task.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Andrew Savchenko