From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] My manifesto for 2015/2016
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 18:46:37
1 On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 1:11 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The problem is, it isn't clear which path is official. The qa team
4 > approved the global policy, but every time the council tries to back it
5 > architecture teams seem to step up and say they will catch up and
6 > convince the council to back down.
9 Without re-reading the logs, my recollection wasn't that arch teams
10 convinced the council to back down so much as arch teams went out and
11 proactively de-stabilized packages strategically so that the new
12 stable set was maintainable, and then proceeded to maintain the rest.
13 That is a win/win, and mooted any need to take action.
14
15 I've been in support of the 90-day policy with maintainers having
16 discretion to extend it. The issue will no doubt come up again, and
17 we should probably formalize the policy in the devmanual. If that
18 needs a council vote so be it, but I don't really see it as essential.
19
20 The bottom line is that arch teams shouldn't stabilize more than they
21 can keep up with. Stabilization is a contract between a maintainer
22 not to be disruptive to an arch, and an arch team to partner in
23 maintaining the package. If either side can't keep up their end (for
24 many possible reasons) then a package shouldn't be stable on the arch.
25 Users can still install unstable packages, but either way they know
26 what they're getting into quality-wise.
29 Rich