From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2019-07-21
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:48:30
1 On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 03:07:21PM +0100, Michael Everitt wrote:
2 > On 10/07/19 14:55, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 11:28:50AM +0200, Lars Wendler wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 23:00:01 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
7 > >>
8 > > *snip*
9 > >
10 > >>> My second agenda item is: removing posting restrictions from gentoo-dev
11 > >>> mailing list.
12 > >>>
13 > >>> I was on the Council that made those changes, and from retrospective I
14 > >>> believe the decision to be a mistake. It was made to workaround
15 > >>> a problem with inefficiency of ComRel, and we should have focused
16 > >>> on fixing ComRel instead. I don't believe it serves its purpose well
17 > >>> and IMO it causes more problems than it solves.
18 > > *snip*
19 > >
20 > >> I fully support this request.
21 > >> This was the utter worst decision being done by council I've ever had
22 > >> the misfortune to be a witness of and I hope our new council will try
23 > >> to never top this kind of bad decisions.
24 > > I was on the council that made this decision as well, and I feel that it
25 > > should never have passed because it comes dangerously close to violating
26 > > our social contract. Some disagree because everything is still read
27 > > only, but I'm still not comfortable with it.
28 > >
29 > > From my POV, there is not really anything to discuss. The post
30 > > restriction should be removed immediately.
31 > >
32 > > William
33 > It remains by dint of procedure that the matter should be brought to a
34 > meeting (or failing that, a bug, as a pseudo-meeting) and that an agreement
35 > is noted that this is the way forward, so that Infra can enact the revision
36 > in configuration, with the appropriate authority.
37 >
38 > Whilst it would be an interesting option to do "vote by mailing list" I
39 > think the road ahead could be much more rocky than it already is ..
40
41 I didn't mean to imply that we should disregard procedures, I was just
42 stating a strong opinion about the decision. It should be reversed as
43 fast as is reasonably possible.
44
45 William