From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-project] Reply to setting Was: Improving developer/user communication]
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:59:49
1 Am 21.07.2007 um 11:50 schrieb David Shakaryan:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> You can do that anyway, with Reply to Sender. Since the whole
5 >> point of a
6 >> list like this is for open discussion, the default should be for
7 >> replies
8 >> to go to the list. It is different for, say, an announce list. The
9 >> other
10 >> Gentoo discussion lists have Reply-To set so omitting it from here
11 >> seems
12 >> more like an omission than policy.
13 >
14 > I agree with this post completely. Omitting a Reply-To header in
15 > this list results in less consistency amongst the mailing lists. If
16 > someone is accustomed to most of the other Gentoo mailing lists
17 > having a Reply-To header, it would be quite likely for them not to
18 > realise that this list is different in that regard. Look at
19 > cokehabit for a real life example of this.
20 >
21 > Neil also has a great point with the fact that this list is for
22 > open discussion, and thus the default should be for mail being sent
23 > to the list, rather than the sender alone. It would not be
24 > difficult for people to click 'Reply to All', but it also would not
25 > be difficult for the infra team to set a Reply-To header. I would
26 > recommend adding a Reply-To header to this list, if only for the
27 > sake of consistency.
28
29 I believe the whole issue will never have a real winner,
30 there's only two standpoints with nothing in between.
31 Both points have their pro's and con's.
32
33 Personally, I'd go with disabling munging because it is
34 more consistent with discussions via mail aliases.
35 I always click "reply to all" because often mail I got
36 went CC to someone else, too and I want her/him to see
37 my reply.
38 And sometimes I just want to send a short private notice
40 like the "reply to sender" way of the reply button.
41
42 But that's just me.
43
44 -R.