From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [gentoo-project] Reply to setting Was: Improving developer/user communication]
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:59:49
Am 21.07.2007 um 11:50 schrieb David Shakaryan:

> Neil Bothwick wrote: >> You can do that anyway, with Reply to Sender. Since the whole >> point of a >> list like this is for open discussion, the default should be for >> replies >> to go to the list. It is different for, say, an announce list. The >> other >> Gentoo discussion lists have Reply-To set so omitting it from here >> seems >> more like an omission than policy. > > I agree with this post completely. Omitting a Reply-To header in > this list results in less consistency amongst the mailing lists. If > someone is accustomed to most of the other Gentoo mailing lists > having a Reply-To header, it would be quite likely for them not to > realise that this list is different in that regard. Look at > cokehabit for a real life example of this. > > Neil also has a great point with the fact that this list is for > open discussion, and thus the default should be for mail being sent > to the list, rather than the sender alone. It would not be > difficult for people to click 'Reply to All', but it also would not > be difficult for the infra team to set a Reply-To header. I would > recommend adding a Reply-To header to this list, if only for the > sake of consistency.
I believe the whole issue will never have a real winner, there's only two standpoints with nothing in between. Both points have their pro's and con's. Personally, I'd go with disabling munging because it is more consistent with discussions via mail aliases. I always click "reply to all" because often mail I got went CC to someone else, too and I want her/him to see my reply. And sometimes I just want to send a short private notice in reply to someone on a mailing list. Then I really like the "reply to sender" way of the reply button. But that's just me. -R. -- gentoo-project@g.o mailing list