From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:21:15
1 On 01/09/2017 11:39 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 01/06/2017 02:48 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >> Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2017, 17:14:51 CET schrieb William L. Thomson Jr.:
4 >>
5 >>> Keep in mind the US is founded on freedom of speech. An open source project
6 >>> could be argued along the same lines as freedom of speech and expression.
7 >>> Not to mention an argument could be made for technical benefit of all, etc.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> As someone routinely dealing (outside Gentoo) with technology that falls under
11 >> US export control, I can assure you that freedom of speech has absolutely
12 >> nothing to do with this topic.
13 >>
14 > What type of software would that be, if you don't mind me asking? Is it
15 > something specific with US <-> Germany (that's your home country right?)
16 > laws?
17 >
18 > The only thing I've ever seen was the US's classification of encryption
19 > as munitions and, for a while, banned its export.
20 >
21 > Clearly, that didn't work out for them and encryption is more important
22 > than ever. What else does the US try to control in software?
25 Anything to do with rockets counts. That was fun to learn :D
26
27 (side note, I'm gonna reply in bulk to this thread soon)
30 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)