From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 09:59:50
1 On 04/05/2016 11:37 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Sunday, April 3, 2016 8:07:13 PM CEST, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>> In two weeks from now, the council will meet again. This is the time
4 >>> to raise and prepare items that the council should put on the agenda
5 >>> to discuss or vote on.
6 >>
7 >> I would like the council to follow up on the results of robbat2's
8 >> portage repo usage survey:
9 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/c2ffa62837fd4cbdd42945bf57b09b25
12 >> The following two points should be discussed and possibly be voted on:
13 >>
14 >> 1. Should we continue providing ChangeLog files in the rsync
15 >> distribution?
16 >
17 > If space is the sole consideration, then, changelogs can be removed
18 > from manifests, and $PM default rsync command can exclude
19 > '*/*/ChangeLog*' (or, at least, leave the possibility to do it). This
20 > solution seems to be what would please everyone since robbat2's survey
21 > results can be interpreted in many ways, but for Q2, more than 50%
22 > voted "something but only if it were optional".
25 > However, I think I recall a nice recap of some infra guy on how much
26 > time it took to generate them. IIRC it was bearable at the moment (a
27 > few hours) but still slow. Assuming infra hardware stays the same,
28 > where will we be in 1, 2 or 5 years wrt to generating changelogs ? Is
29 > there something that can be improved on the software side or are we
30 > just bound to have slower and slower rsync distribution generation ?
31 > If so, how much slower does it get over time ?
32 If one had lots of time for fixing up things ... an incremental
33 thick-manifest update in lockstep with new commits would be possible. So
34 maybe each commit lags by a few seconds to a few minutes (if it's a
35 single commit touching lots of files).
36
37 But there would always be a thick-manifest copy available that would be
38 behind only by a small time window, and could be propagated to rsync
39 mirrors easily. The problem with that approach is that someone would
40 need to write such code, test it, etc.etc.
43 > What I mean there is that if changelog generation takes 5 days then we
44 > don't have much of a choice but dropping them.
45 >
46 > Alexis.
47 >
48 Pff. Worst case you throw more hardware at it ;)