From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014 / 2015 election
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 17:15:01
1 On July 1, 2014 1:02:34 PM EDT, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> From what I see you are on both council and comrel. I think that is a
5 >> conflict of interest.
8 >The term "conflict of interest" gets thrown around rather loosely IMHO.
9 >
10 >A conflict of interest is when somebody stands to personally gain from
11 >a decision. If somebody on the council or comrel banned you from an
12 >IRC channel, and you brought this to comrel, then it would be a
13 >conflict of interest if the accused party voted on their own case.
14 >Anything short of this really isn't a true conflict IMHO.
15 >
16 >Many courts will hear appeals with a small number of judges with the
17 >possibility to appeal to a larger set of judges, and the original
18 >judges get to vote in both cases. That isn't a conflict of interest -
19 >just division of labor.
20 >
21 >When you appeal a Comrel case to the Council the purpose of the appeal
22 >is to decide what to do with the parties involved - it isn't a
23 >judgement on Comrel itself, though Comrel should be guided by the
24 >decision in any future actions it takes.
25 >
26 >Anybody dissatisfied with a Comrel decision can appeal to Council,
27 >which is a group of 7 people selected by the developer community to
28 >represent them.
29 >
30 >But, anyone is free to not vote for Comrel members.
31 >
32 >Rich
33
34 Moreover, I think that anyone who is both comrel/council would recuse himself from a vote if it the vote's outcome directly affected him. That is, if I were to (for example) start a comrel complaint against dilfridge, and then appealed it to council, I'm certain that he would abstain from voting in the matter because that is explicitly a conflict of interest since one of the vote options clearly benefits him. If he voted on a case that he handled as a member of comrel, however, that isn't a conflict of interest because he doesn't stand to gain from the vote (unless comrel starts rewarding people for getting the most "convictions," in which case I think we have bigger problems to deal with...)
35
36 Chris Reffett