From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:28:32
1 On 1/29/2019 11:54 AM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2019-01-28 23:27, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> It's very common to need firmware to use wired or wireless networking.
4 >> I would not want to ship installation media without requisite
5 >> firmware.
6 >
7 > I don't think that sys-kernel/linux-firmware would be affected.
8 >
9 > But if it would be affected, where's the problem? Just create
10 > /etc/portage/package.license for that media.
11 >
12 > Again, the main motion is for users starting with a fresh stage3 image.
13 > Gentoo is about choices. So the only thing which will actually change is
14 > an additional prompt because we are raising awareness...
18 This is a barrier for new users. As seen in #gentoo, new users are
19 often quite confused over the prompt to add static-libs to
20 sys-apps/util-linux when installing genkernel. They think it is an
21 error and rush for support to solve it.
22
23 Now the chance that more user issues will occur with licenses will only
24 increase.
25
26 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, or any sources for that matter, would have to
27 be exempted on each and every install (larger barrier and confusion).
28
29 75-90% of all users will need to be add sys-firmware/linux-firmware to
30 package.license so what's the point? Yes, specific configurations can
31 exist without it, but those are becoming increasingly rare.
32
33 I say instead of changing the default, have more clear documentation on
34 how to have users change things to what they want if they choose this
35 "free as in freedom" mantra. I'd rather have less barriers and more users.
36
37 Brian