From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:48:28
1 On 06-08-2011 12:59:17 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > >>> This should be the arch more developers use daily and is likely
3 > >>> the one with more members (herd count). Also, one should remember
4 > >>> the time it takes to compile, test or debug an issue in a recent
5 > >>> amd64 system or an old / slow box with an "exotic arch" varies
6 > >>> substantially. Not to mention that the amount of testing done on
7 > >>> "exotic arches" varies substantially between projects.
8 > >> I am aware of the problems and this is way I want a solution.
9 > >
10 > > And what solution do you have in mind (in your Council role)?
11 >
12 > Drop stable keywords for certain arches and/or remove their keywords
13 > from X packages. The idea is to keep only a single and smaller portage
14 > tree which would be much more easier to manage. Pretty much the same
15 > situation as MIPS. It worked pretty well on MIPS, so it will work on
16 > these arches too
17
18 As Jorge already pointed out, what you consider to be a solution here,
19 others don't. And that is also the reason why the Council is, what you
20 perceive as, slow.
24 Fabian Groffen
25 Gentoo on a different level