From: Seemant Kulleen <seemantk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 23:02:37
1 Please understand my context: I absolutely love Gentoo Linux -- it's been
2 that way since some March day in early 2001.
3
4 On 21 January 2015 at 12:44, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 > I'm not saying that anything bundles libs... SONAME, etc).
8 >
9 <snipped unnecessary technical tangent.>
12 > I don't see how you'd check for vulnerable libraries other than using
13 > heuristics
14 >
15 <snipped unnecessary technical supposition>. T
19 > Such a model also only promotes choice to a degree.
20 >
21 <snipped redundant argument about choice -- not different from current
22 status quo>
25 > <snipped bginning of this> but the
26 > only thing as a Council we really have the power to do is to forbid
27 > people from working on other things, or to expel hot air. The latter
28 > can accomplish some good, but not much.
31 The Council's power is irrelevant this early in the discussion.
32 No offense intended, but I see too many posts talking about Council's
33 limited powers, and the fact that the Council can really only talk, but all
34 that is fodder for a different thread.
35
36 I would absolutely LOVE IT if the Council (and its members) would refrain
37 from further expellations of hot air. Silence is not only more preferable,
38 but more factually correct in such situations.
41 > If I had solutions I'd be posting them. Apologies if it seems like
42 > I'm nitpicking. The thing is that while the status quo has some clear
43 > deficiencies, in some ways it is also the best Gentoo has really ever
44 > been.
47 It's not the nitpicking as such, but the irrelevant tangents that make for
48 difficult to consume wall-of-text emails.
49
50 And no, it is NOT the best that Gentoo has ever been. Gentoo has yet to
51 actually be the best it can be.
52 That requires -- drum roll -- FOCUS!
53
54 Gentoo is bloated and slow and takes forever and is full of fighting on the
55 mailing lists. That last item is the only thing that's remained consistent.
58 > Or put another way, where else are we going to go? Maybe that is why
59 > so many of us that seem to have so much conflict with each other all
60 > stick around.
63 Not sure what this is about (I almost snipped it).
64
65 As someone who only ever uses Gentoo Linux, the thing I want to know from
66 the developer community is: what exactly are you building?
67
68 It's not a choice machine. Gentoo hasn't ever been a choice machine. I've
69 been seeing variations of "Gentoo is about choice. Right? Right???" for a
70 while now.
71
72 It isn't -- it's about providing sensible options as alternatives to
73 sensible defaults. The danger of stopping at "but but it's about choice!!
74 CHOICE!!!!!!!eleven!!" is that the shit will not stop at that point. Any
75 arbitrary damned thing becomes a choice (USE flag bloat makes those flags
76 basically useless, for example).
77
78 Here's what hasn't changed in the Gentoo experience: the emotion of
79 fulfillment, achievement and satisfaction after that initial install -- the
80 install you really care about.
81
82 That feeling, that "je ne sais quoi" (I dunno what) -- that emotion is
83 unique to the Gentoo experience.
84
85 Instead of endless technical upmanships in these posts, I'd prefer to see
86 the developer and leader community focus on the Gentoo experience as a
87 product, and figure out how to maximise delivery of the Gentoogasm.
88
89 Cheers,
90 Seemant