From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Proposal for Council: Prohibit Harassment & Discrimination via the CoC
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 09:30:39
1 On Saturday 25 April 2015 05:09:35 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > 3.2. Add a new bullet point:
4 > <b>Harassing & Discrimination</b>. Harassing & Discrimination
5 > includes, but is not limited to offensive comments in relation to:
6
7 This is needlessly fuzzy and will motivate the lawyer-type to find ways to
8 either frustrate you by staying within the limits, or claim to be offended by
9 your actions, thus applying this rule to you and forcing you to be removed.
10
11 It's a bit like defining obscenity ("I'll know it when I see it") ...
14 I'm confused how this is going to actually fix any issues that we can't
15 already fix. (If I had to write such a set of rules I'd just define
16 '$specialsuperpowerpersons can remove any content considered inappropriate,
17 complaints go to $otherpersons.' That way the obviously subjective actions are
18 properly covered in a way that can't be lawyered out of)
19
20 > gender; gender identity and expression; age; sexual orientation;
21 > disability; physical appearance; body size; race; religion;
22 > citizenship; nationality and familial status. It also includes: sexual
23 > language and images in public spaces;
24 (... but at least this amuses me - can we please not get Puritan Body Fear
25 into our CoC?)
26
27 > deliberate intimidation;
28 (Would we have to ban Linus Torvalds if he were with us?)
29
30 > stalking; following; harassing photography or recording; sustained
31 > disruption of threads, talks or other events;
32
33 > inappropriate physical
34 > contact; and unwelcome sexual attention.
35 This is covered by existing laws already, so why explicitly mention that
36 illegal things are illegal?
39 So all in all, 9.5/10 for initiative, 3/10 for execution. This is imo not the
40 right way to 'fix' problems and, like the Proctors, can blow up in ways we
41 don't want/need.