From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 23:28:26
1 On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:54:35 PM EDT Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM, David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > Hi William,
5 >> >
6 >> > given the massive inactivity of the sparc and hppa arches, I would like
7 >> > to request dropping their profiles to 'dev'. I would like two votes:
8 >> >
9 >> > 1) Should sparc be dropped to a 'dev' profile?
10 >> >
11 >> > 2) Should hppa be dropped to a 'dev' profile?
12 >> >
13 >> > I hope this can clear a lot of the STABLEREQ and KEYWORDREQ backlog
14 >> > that is making maintenance in Gentoo cumbersome.
15 >>
16 >> I am against moving these to dev profiles for all the reasons Michał gives.
17 >>
18 >> For everyone's information, sparc is in its current state because
19 >> bender, our sparc development system hosted at OSUOSL died in April
20 >> and Infra has not fixed it for whatever reason. I have contacted
21 >> Oracle about donating modern hardware to the Gentoo Foundation and
22 >> they expressed interest, but nothing concrete has happened yet.
23 >>
24 >> Jack Morgan also decided to retire about the same time because of the
25 >> apparent crusade to drop support for architectures like sparc.
28 > So all we had was one system and a couple of testers on sparc? No one seems
29 > to have complained others than those folks who were impacted by the lack of
30 > response and time from sparc.
31 >
32 >> As an arch tester, I can tell you that it's horribly boring and
33 >> tedious work. I'd be happy to drop most keywords to ~arch (and Tobias
34 >> and I have agreed to do exactly this for alpha). In my experience as a
35 >> member of the MIPS team I can also tell you that fully ~arch is
36 >> terrible for stage building -- you're constantly dealing with generic
37 >> unstable problems and not with anything specific to the architecture
38 >> or stage building. Dropping profiles to dev/exp only exacerbate this
39 >> problem.
42 > I don't think alpha is the problem here. Alpha is actually pretty good IIRC.
43 > Why change anything on alpha?
44
45 For a couple of reasons. Obviously there are not lots of alpha users
46 these days, so investing lots of time in it is sort of a questionable
47 choice.
48
49 But also because it's boring as hell. It's zero fun, and it's not
50 interesting work. I enjoy working on weird architectures and learning
51 about them, but arch testing is not that. It's busy work, and I'm busy
52 enough without it :)
53
54 By reducing the set of packages that we have to test and mark stable,
55 we're left with more time to do the things that we actually find
56 interesting and focus on the packages that actually matter (the
57 toolchain, for example).
58
59 >> As such, I suggest that instead we consider dropping everything
60 >> outside of the @system set (and its dependencies) to ~arch for select
61 >> architectures. This will ensure that the core system remains stable
62 >> and stage building goes as smoothly as possible. With the
63 >> significantly reduced stabilization work load, I suspect that the arch
64 >> testers can keep up with keyword requests and stabilization requests
65 >> for @system packages.
66 >>
67 >> I don't think we need council to be involved in this case. Please have
68 >> a little more patience until this can be done.
69 >
70 > Council definitely needs to be involved. Everytime this conversation has been
71 > brought up nothing changes. The only thing *sure* to change is the
72 > involvement of the respective arch testers. It is an almost "strike" like
73 > mentality when someone debates the relevancy of said architectures.
74 >
75 > Letting the broader user base suffer at the behest of a few minor arch teams
76 > is not useful for anyone.
77
78 I truthfully don't know how anyone is suffering. Having some old
79 ebuilds in the tree because sparc hasn't stabilized something newer is
80 not causing suffering in my opinion.