From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:44:17
On Saturday, August 06, 2011 07:49:21 Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 06-08-2011 11:00:16 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote: > > Oh come on Jorge. You know what I mean by slacking arches. I am not > > talking about punishing them. Maybe drop stable keywords or drop keyword > > from X package and shrink their tree so they can keep up with the load. > > > > > This should be the arch more developers use daily and is likely the > > > one with more members (herd count). Also, one should remember the > > > time it takes to compile, test or debug an issue in a recent amd64 > > > system or an old / slow box with an "exotic arch" varies > > > substantially. Not to mention that the amount of testing done on > > > "exotic arches" varies substantially between projects. > > > > I am aware of the problems and this is way I want a solution. > > And what solution do you have in mind (in your Council role)?
automated build boxes + better tools for marking packages stable. a command line interface that let's you view pending stable requests in a condensed format and quickly approve from right there (which would post a comment and mark the respective ebuild stable for you). a significant chunk of time wasted on keeping packages keyworded stable is the bugzilla interface and actually going into the cvs tree to make the stable change and commit it. -mike