From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>, licenses@g.o, Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:40:40
1 On 07/25/2013 01:31 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > Gentoo has a social contract [1] which makes a lot of noise about free
3 > software.
4 > However our default settings allow to use almost any kind of non-free
5 > license such as "all-rights-reserved".
6 >
7 > While I see nothing wrong with gentoo providing proprietary stuff (and
8 > I have created a lot of such games ebuilds), I think according to our
9 > philsophy and social contract we should make people aware of free
10 > software and because of that also change the default to:
11 >
12 > ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
13 >
14 > This is only about the _default_.
15 > We will have to change the handbook at "1.d. Licenses" [2] and might
16 > also make a news item.
19 This is what I thought the default license group already was, I'm all
20 for it :D
23 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)