From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2014-2015 Personal Manifesto
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:28:20
1 Hello users and developers of Gentoo and/or one of its derivatives
2
3 In managing Gentoo we must keep ourselves to what Gentoo is about[1],
4 as well as continue its philosophy[2] in the future; everyone should be
5 able to use Gentoo the way they want, if possible (manpower, time, ...).
6
7 The Gentoo Council should take on agenda items when there is an actual
8 need for them; for cases where a decision is needed, when this is unable
9 to be made by the parties involved.
10
11 In doing so, the Gentoo Council should listen and/or talk to these
12 parties to get a thorough understanding of the various solutions and
13 alternatives that are available; in order to find and vote on a
14 solution or alternative that satisfies most parties, if necessary by
15 helping to craft a new solution or alternative that supports multiple
16 parties instead of a single one.
17
18 Regarding the time between an issue and a solution for it; the Gentoo
19 Council's timeliness needs to adapt itself to the complexity and/or
20 severity of the issue, such that decisions aren't unnecessary stalled
21 whilst still being thought out sufficiently.
22
23 This doesn't withhold that sometimes one cannot foresee all the results
24 of a decision; in such a case, if it is not a big risk one needs to cut
25 the ribbon and prototype what is believed to be the best.
26
27 Giving back to the community is important to me; as to make and keep
28 possible what has been possible to me, as well as to defend and extend
29 these possibilities for others where possible.
30
31 This is why I've become a Gentoo Developer, as well as also why I have
32 nominated myself for the Gentoo Council this year.
33
34 Managing Gentoo is about introducing choices, instead of picking them.
35
36 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
37 [2]: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml
38
39 Thank you for reading.
42 With kind regards,
43
44 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
45 Gentoo Developer
46
47 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
48 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
49 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D