From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: licenses@g.o, Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:07:54
1 El jue, 25-07-2013 a las 11:58 -0700, Matt Turner escribió:
2 > On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I disagree because I don't think "promoting" free software should imply
4 > > we shouldn't allow non-free software to be installed easily :/
5 >
6 > Let's not claim that modifying make.conf is anything but trivial.
9 It's trivial (I always overwrite it to simply put "*"), but why someone
10 installing a package not using that FREE licenses will need to edit it?
11 How does it "promote" free software? I don't think making installation
12 of other software more difficult is the right way to promote it.
13
14 What apart of showing users a new "error" by default adds this decision?
15 I think the way to promote free software is to be sure our virtuals list
16 free alternatives in first time, that way people will get free software
17 when packages are providing same functionality.
18
19 But feel free to do what you prefer, I haven't ever expended much time
20 in all this licensing stuff (even preferring free licenses) and I know
21 how this usually end (this reminds me last time I talked with an openBSD
22 developer that works with my father about how he disagrees with GPL and
23 similar :P)