From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:08:01
1 On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So, say, should we switch the handbook to systemd if systemd people are
5 >> going to have less trouble updating it? :P
6 >
7 > I cannot see any relation between your remark and what I wrote.
8 > Essentially, I think it is best to leave the handbook as it is now:
9 > Have *one* reasonable alternative carried out and refer to others
10 > to Wiki or some other source.
11
12 The handbook already details multiple alternatives. So, you aren't
13 arguing to preserve the status quo, but rather to remove options.
14
15 > I do not suppose that openrc is going from the handbook soon
16 > (and I would not suggest such a change)
17
18 And that was Michał's point which he didn't come outright and say.
19 You seem happy to have only one alternative in the handbook, because
20 you're just assuming it is the alternative you happen to prefer. As I
21 posted elsewhere a few days ago (perhaps in this thread) the problem
22 with picking just one option is that we all get to fight WW3 over
23 which option it ends up being. I don't see any value in that. If we
24 really duked it out the one easy-to-install option in the handbook
25 might just turn out to be systemd, and I'm sure we'd hear no end of
26 complaining about it. And I'd be among those complaining because
27 there is simply no reason to dictate that everybody install Gentoo the
28 same way since the flexibility is basically the whole point of what
29 we're doing.
32 Rich