From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:38:13
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 >> And then the Gentoo portage ebuild loses its maintainer? How is that supposed
3 >> to make anything better?
4 >
5 > First, most people aren't going to quit over this. The maintainer
6 > doesn't have to do anything but not actively revert changes made by
7 > the project teams.
8
9 I don't say that they quit altogether. Just that they may leave that
10 particular ebuild in portage alone (and continue in an overlay as was
11 suggested) because they don't want to have anything to do with the changes
12 that were forced upon them.
13
14 > If they do quit, somebody else will have to step up and maintain it,
15 > or it gets treecleaned (eventually). Short-term it might be a loss.
16 > Long-term I think it is the only way we can thrive.
17
18 So until someone else steps up, users will have the great experience of a
19 unified ebuild that nobody takes care of.
20
21 I'll take the reasoning with the maintainer approach (without threatening to
22 apply anyway if you arguments fail to convince him) over this insanity any day.
25 Best regards,
26 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn